On this page you can find all information required to submit your paper.
- Our main goal is to focus on experimentation and data science in software engineering.
- Only papers directly regarding to software engineering are reviewed (detailed list of our topics of interest).
- Publication fee is $0.00.
- Review process usually lasts two months.
- The submission has to be in the scope of the journal. Out of scope submissions are administratively dismissed without review.
- The submission must contain substantial scientific contribution.
- The paper has to be submitted to our journal exclusively (the same paper cannot be published elsewhere).
- The submission can be rejected for a variety of reasons including but not limited to:
- being out of scope,
- being badly presented,
- using poor English,
- missing some fundamental components of research (e.g. the articulation of a research problem),
- not following Paper requirements.
- Required elements:
- The paper for review has to be prepared in PDF format.
- Accepted (final) version of the paper must be prepared in LaTeX format by authors using our template.
- Use our LaTeX template from the outset, as the final version has to be submitted using it (do not modify single column template layout).
- Use the following paper structure:
- Related Work
- Conclusions and further works
- Include reproducibility/replicability packages which can be hosted on Zenodo, OpenML or as R packages hosted on CRAN including both open source code/scripts and data.
- Create your account in Manuscript Central if you don’t have one so far.
- Print, read, sign and scan Copyright form.
- Create new submission in Manuscript Central and upload:
- paper (PDF format),
- copyright form (PDF, JPG, GIF etc.) (mark Copyright as: “Supplemental files not for review”).
Final version of the paper has to be prepared in LaTeX as we do not perform any translations (e.g. Word to LaTeX). It is also not possible to prepare the final version in PDF format by author(s). To learn more see Publication Process below.
Review process Submissions go through the following stages (in our submission and review system https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/e-InformaticaSEJ) before final decisions are made:
- Admin checklist: The staff of Editorial Office checks the content of submission for completeness and identifies original submission and resubmission. If the manuscript information or content is incomplete, the manuscript will be returned to the author as ‘unsubmitted’. If the manuscript is complete, the manuscript is passed to one of the Editorin-Chiefs (EiC)
- Associate Editor (AE) assignment: The EiC selects an AE to handle the submitted manuscript. For resubmissions, the same AE will be assigned unless for special reasons.
- Reviewer selection: The assigned AE selects a group of potential reviewers. For resubmissions, the AE can choose to invite the same or a different group of reviewers.
- Reviewer invitation: The AE sends review invitations to selected reviewers. The invitation contains title, author list, and abstract of the submitted manuscript.
- Reviewer assignment: The invited reviewers who do not declare conflict of interests and accept the invitation are assigned to the manuscript. The assigned reviewers will receive an e-mail with instructions and the link to the ScholarOne Manuscripts page that includes the manuscript and evaluation forms.
- Reviewer scores: The reviewers are given 1 month to finish the review and upload scores and comments onto ScholarOne Manuscripts. After the due date, ScholarOne Manuscripts will send an automatic e-mail reminder until the review is returned. If requested by the reviewer, the Editorial Office can grant extension to the deadline in ScholarOne Manuscripts. The AE can also choose to change the number of required reviewers if necessary.
- AE recommendation: After all the reviews are returned, the AE makes the accept or reject recommendation to the EiC based on the returned comments.
- Editor-in-Chief (EiC) decision: The EiC makes final decision based on reviewer comments and AE recommendation.
Uploaded file can be prepared in any way (Word/TeX/etc.), but version for publication must be created in LaTeX and BibTeX.
Acceptance criteria ara available in the review form below (e.g., scope, originality, creativity, clarity, innovation of the content, strength of analysis or theory, strength of a literature rview).
- Send the final version of your submission (LaTeX, BibTeX sources and images) by e-mail to Editorial Office Manager.
- Issues affecting length of publication process:
- The language quality. When the grammar and language of the paper is validate it significantly shortens publication process. Using British English is recommended.
- The bibliography quality. All references in BibTeX file should be as complete as possible, because filling the gaps takes a lot of time.
- Images quality. Images should be prepared using vector graphics or high-res bitmaps. Printed version of the journal is black and white so we encourage authors to convert images to black and white or use only few shadows of grey.